February 9th – Corner Cafe – 4 pm – Heavy Weather Sailing
Presented by Randy Litchfield, topics include:
Preparation - Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.
1. Understand how wind and waves work and their effect on boat handling.
2. Know your boat's design and heavy weather limitations.
3. Have the sail and equipment inventory that can survive a storm and get you home.
4. Be able to accommodate your crew in safety and comfort.
5. Know how to identify the signs of impending bad weather.
Procedures - Pick the right tactic for the right situation.
1. Is it fight or flight?
2. When to shorten sail and how.
3. Steering methods for rough seas.
4. Heaving to and lying a-hull.
5. Navigating lee shores.
WINTER FUN at COFFIN RIDGE WINERY
Come and indulge yourself with some group fun in the snow followed by a wine tasting, charcuterie and warm mulled wine.
Winter dreams come true! You will feel energized and relaxed after snowshoeing on this beautiful property with a magnificent view. Treat your friends to the activities and camaraderie shared by members at our Yacht Club Events
Place: Coffin Ridge Winery
Transportation: Meet Bus at the School in Thornbury (details to follow)
Bus time pick up: 12:15
Equipment: Bring your own snowshoes. If you need to borrow some these are free at the Winery.
Cost: $10 per member and guest
Dress warmly and turn on your fun side.
Please sign up ASAP so we can forward our numbers to the winery. Sign up is on our Membership site. E-Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or Cheque dropped into Gyles
Any questions or concerns email me:email@example.com or call me: 519-599-2885 or 647-971-2767.
Looking forward to seeing you all and a day of fun.
For best results please download the lastest version of the FREE Adobe Reader HERE.